Thursday, August 10, 2023

IVF Treatment - Day 40

8 Aug 2023 – Today is the day of the Egg retrieval procedure.

We were informed to go to Ward 2A to admit to the hospital at 7.30am. The actual procedure is scheduled to start at 9.30am. Hubby got to deposit at 8am.

Worrying about whether I would be able to clear my bowels before being sedated at the operating theatre, I tried my hardest to go to the toilet the night before but ended up resulting in something sad happening. (Too private to mention here)

I was to do fasting for a full day from 12am, no food, and no water.

Upon reaching the ward, we were quickly ushered to the counter do the registration and given tags so that we could enter in and out of the ward.

I went in, not knowing what to expect.

The kind nurses asked me to take off all the jewelry, and I kept them in my bag.

They then brought me to the ward, Ward 43 to wait.

Due to nervousness, I had stomachache, went to the toilet several times, and managed to clear my bowels!

It was then time for the procedure. Due to them injecting a big needle in, we were briefed beforehand of the risk of infection/risk of bleeding/etc. We were to monitor closely after the procedure, whether there was heavy bleeding/increased in weight/fever/etc.

I could only leave all my fears in God’s hands, because, every part of this IVF journey, was beyond my planning or control. This wasn’t something I was used to doing, but I am slowly learning (even now) to let go and let God.

I was brought to the operating theatre, injected a needle at the front of my hand, and was told that they would drip the General Anesthesia in, once the surgical team arrives.

I asked them whether can sedate me asap, as my heart rate was beating at an all-time high. They patiently explained that they would need to try to reduce the time I was sedated, to prevent the risk which sedation comes with.

There were more than 6 staff in the room, as I was strap down in the cold, freezing room. A nurse kindly covered my shoulders with the blanket, and another kind nurse, gently told me not to worry even though it seems intimidating.

Soon, the doctor came, I said Hello! And they wish me good luck.

They covered me with a mask and asked me to breath in and out.

“Breathe in, breathe out… don’t fight it…”

Upon the fourth breath, I was out.

Someone tapped me and I woke up from a very deep place. It was an hour plus after the operation!

I felt a slight pain in my throat, and they explained that was because they inserted some tube in earlier. Very soon, the pain in the throat subsided.

The cramps felt painful though. However, I was so glad that it was over.

I was pushed to Ward 43, to rest and wait. Am to wait for four hours before I can eat so that I don’t vomit out the food, since I have just been awake from sedation. Rested and felt hungry as could only eat at 1.30pm.

A gentle female doctor came to informed us that they managed to retrieved X number of eggs. I was relieved and grateful that the eggs were successfully retrieved, after all the injections and pain.

We were to monitor for any infection, the next few days, and wait for the embryologist call to inform us on the outcome of the fertilization.

Thank God for helping us overcome one more step of this journey, and thankful to the pastors, family and friends for all the prayers.

No comments: